In 1998, Gasol began his professional career with FC Barcelona, a team in the Spanish League. He played for the team for three years before being drafted by the Atlanta Hawks in 2001. However, he was immediately traded to the Memphis Grizzlies, where he would play for seven seasons.
During his time with the Grizzlies, Gasol became one of the best players in the league. He was named the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2002 and was a two-time All-Star. In 2008, Gasol was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, where he teamed up with Kobe Bryant and helped lead the team to two NBA championships in 2009 and 2010.
Gasol’s success was not limited to the NBA, as he was also a key player on the Spanish national team. He won two silver medals at the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games and a gold medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championships.
In addition to his on-court success, Gasol has also been involved in various charitable activities, including his work with UNICEF and his creation of the Gasol Foundation, which focuses on promoting healthy lifestyles for children.
Gasol retired from professional basketball in 2019, leaving behind a legacy as one of the greatest Spanish basketball players of all time and one of the most successful players in NBA history.
Pau Gasol had an illustrious basketball career, and his achievements include:
- 2 NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers (2009, 2010)
- 6-time NBA All-Star (2006-2011)
- NBA Rookie of the Year (2002)
- 4-time All-NBA selection (2009-2011, 2015)
- Olympic silver medalist with the Spanish national team (2008, 2012)
- FIBA World Cup gold medalist with the Spanish national team (2006)
- EuroBasket gold medalist with the Spanish national team (2009, 2011)
- Spanish League champion with FC Barcelona (1999)
- Spanish Cup champion with FC Barcelona (2001)
- Spanish Supercup champion with FC Barcelona (2004)
- King’s Cup champion with Real Madrid (2015)
- Medal of Honor from the government of Spain for his contributions to sports and society (2010)
- UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and recipient of the UNICEF Spanish Committee Award (2012)
- Order of Cultural Merit from the government of Spain for his contributions to culture and the arts (2018)
Gasol’s accomplishments on and off the court have made him a beloved figure in the world of basketball and beyond.