Ketel Marte: Restricted List, Contract and Diamondbacks Update

Ketel Marte is back in the headlines after the Arizona Diamondbacks placed their All-Star second baseman on the restricted list following his failure to report to Fenway Park for Monday’s game against the Boston Red Sox.
The move immediately raised questions among baseball fans about what happened to Marte, why he was placed on the restricted list and what his status means for the Diamondbacks. Manager Torey Lovullo said Marte was dealing with a personal issue, but the organization has not publicly disclosed further details.
The situation is particularly notable because this is the second consecutive season in which Marte has landed on the restricted list.
Why is Ketel Marte on the restricted list?
The Diamondbacks placed Ketel Marte on the restricted list on August 17, 2026, after he did not appear at Fenway Park for Arizona’s game against Boston.
According to manager Torey Lovullo, the team knew Marte was dealing with a personal matter but did not have a complete explanation for his absence. Lovullo said he had spoken with Marte earlier in the day while trying to understand the situation.
Marte had traveled with the team to Boston following its previous series in Atlanta. However, he did not arrive at the ballpark for the game.
Because he was unavailable, the Diamondbacks made a late roster move. Infielder Jose Fernandez was recalled from Triple-A Reno and took Marte’s place on the active roster.
Importantly, the Diamondbacks have not said that Marte’s absence is related to an injury. The publicly reported explanation is a personal issue.
What does the restricted list mean?
The MLB restricted list is used for players who are under contract but are temporarily unavailable for reasons that are not necessarily related to baseball injuries.
A player on the restricted list does not occupy the same active-roster spot as a player who is available to play. The designation can therefore give a club roster flexibility while the player deals with an absence.
In Marte’s case, the Diamondbacks used the list after he failed to report to the ballpark.
The exact length of his absence has not been announced publicly. Therefore, it would be premature to give a specific return date.
This is not Marte’s first restricted-list absence
The 2026 development has an important precedent.
Marte was also placed on the restricted list in July 2025. The Diamondbacks’ official season summary shows that he was placed on the restricted list on July 18 and reinstated on July 20.
That absence followed a burglary at Marte’s Arizona home during the All-Star break. He subsequently traveled to the Dominican Republic and missed three games.
The circumstances surrounding the 2026 absence are different. At this point, Arizona has only publicly described it as a personal matter.
That distinction is important because speculation about the reasons behind a player’s absence should not be presented as fact when the team has not provided those details.
Ketel Marte contract
Marte remains under a significant long-term contract with the Diamondbacks.
According to Baseball-Reference, he is signed through the 2030 season on a six-year, $105 million contract, with a player option for 2031.
His scheduled salaries are:
| Season | Salary |
|---|---|
| 2026 | $15 million |
| 2027 | $12 million |
| 2028 | $20 million |
| 2029 | $22 million |
| 2030 | $22 million |
| 2031 | Player option |
The 2031 player option is worth $11.5 million, according to MLB.com’s previous reporting on Marte’s contract. The deal also contains performance-based escalators and deferred money.
So, despite the current restricted-list situation, Marte remains a major part of Arizona’s long-term payroll structure.
How long is Ketel Marte signed for?
Marte is under contract with the Diamondbacks through 2030.
He also has a player option for 2031. If that option is exercised, his contractual relationship with Arizona could extend through that season.
Baseball-Reference lists him as under contract through 2030 with the 2031 player option and lists him as potentially becoming a free agent in 2031.
Ketel Marte salary
Marte is scheduled to earn $15 million in 2026.
His salary then changes to $12 million in 2027 before increasing substantially during the final guaranteed years of the deal.
The contract structure is:
- 2026: $15 million
- 2027: $12 million
- 2028: $20 million
- 2029: $22 million
- 2030: $22 million
- 2031: $11.5 million player option
MLB reported that the contract also includes $46 million in deferred salary.
Is Ketel Marte injured?
There is currently no public indication that the latest restricted-list move is because of an injury.
The explanation given by Lovullo was that Marte was dealing with a personal issue. The manager did not provide details about the nature of that issue.
Therefore, searches for a “Ketel Marte injury” should be treated carefully. The latest publicly reported reason for his absence is a personal matter rather than a baseball injury.
When will Ketel Marte return?
The Diamondbacks have not announced a specific return date for Marte.
Because the club has not provided details about the personal matter, it is impossible to give a reliable timetable.
For now, the most accurate update is that Marte is on the restricted list and unavailable to play while Arizona works through the situation.
Fans should therefore avoid assuming that he will return for a particular game unless the Diamondbacks officially announce his reinstatement.
What does Marte’s absence mean for the Diamondbacks?
Marte is one of Arizona’s most important offensive players, so his absence creates an obvious challenge.
He is a three-time All-Star and has established himself as a central figure in the Diamondbacks’ lineup. Baseball-Reference lists him as a second baseman, shortstop and center fielder and records three All-Star selections, two Silver Slugger Awards and an NLCS MVP award.
Arizona entered the Boston series needing its veteran star in the lineup, but the late roster change meant the team had to adjust quickly.
The Diamondbacks ultimately suffered an 11-1 loss to Boston, although the defeat itself should not be attributed solely to Marte’s absence.
Ketel Marte and the Diamondbacks
Marte has been an important part of the Diamondbacks organization since Arizona acquired him from the Seattle Mariners after the 2016 season.
MLB noted that the trade, which also brought Taijuan Walker to Arizona, became one of general manager Mike Hazen’s most significant early moves.
Marte developed into an All-Star-level player in Arizona and became one of the franchise’s most recognizable stars.
His long-term contract reflects that importance.
The Diamondbacks also decided to keep him through the 2026 offseason despite trade rumors. MLB reported in February that Marte was happy to remain in Arizona after an offseason in which his name had been involved in trade speculation.
Is Ketel Marte being traded?
There is no indication from the latest restricted-list news that the Diamondbacks are trading Marte.
The current issue concerns his availability and a personal matter, not a newly announced trade.
Arizona previously made clear that it was not looking to trade Marte during the 2025-26 offseason.
His contract and importance to the lineup also make him a major organizational asset.
Therefore, the restricted-list placement should not automatically be interpreted as a sign that a trade is coming.
Ketel Marte 2026 status
Marte entered the 2026 season as one of Arizona’s established stars.
Baseball-Reference’s current 2026 statistics show him with 19 home runs and 61 RBIs in the available season data, although his totals can change as the season continues.
His offensive production remains important to a Diamondbacks team attempting to compete in the National League.
The latest development, however, is entirely about his availability.
What happened to Ketel Marte?
The simplest answer is that Marte did not report to Fenway Park for Arizona’s August 17 game against Boston.
The Diamondbacks subsequently placed him on the restricted list.
Manager Torey Lovullo said Marte was dealing with a personal issue, but the team has not released additional information.
That means several details remain unknown, including the precise nature of the issue and when Marte will return.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why was Ketel Marte placed on the restricted list?
The Diamondbacks placed Marte on the restricted list after he failed to report to Fenway Park for the team’s game against the Boston Red Sox. Manager Torey Lovullo said Marte was dealing with a personal issue.
Is Ketel Marte injured?
The latest reports do not identify an injury as the reason for his restricted-list placement. Arizona has described the situation as a personal matter.
How much is Ketel Marte’s contract worth?
Marte’s current deal is worth $105 million over six years and runs through 2030, with a player option for 2031.
How much does Ketel Marte make in 2026?
Marte is scheduled to earn $15 million in 2026.
When will Ketel Marte return?
The Diamondbacks have not announced a specific return date. His return will depend on the resolution of the personal matter.
Has Ketel Marte been on the restricted list before?
Yes. Marte was placed on the restricted list in July 2025 and was reinstated two days later.
Is Ketel Marte being traded?
There is no current announcement that the restricted-list situation is connected to a trade. Arizona previously indicated that it planned to keep Marte despite offseason trade speculation.
Final thoughts
The latest Ketel Marte restricted list situation has created uncertainty around one of the Diamondbacks’ biggest stars. Arizona says the second baseman is dealing with a personal issue after failing to report to the team’s game in Boston.
For now, the key facts are clear: Marte is on the restricted list, the Diamondbacks have not disclosed the specific nature of his personal matter, and there is no announced return date.
His long-term future with Arizona also remains intact. Marte is signed through 2030 on a $105 million contract and has a player option for 2031.
As more information becomes available from the Diamondbacks, his roster status and return timeline should become clearer.
Leave a Reply