Handball is played on four walled court by two or more players hit a small ball against the front wall with hand.Today we will discuss about Handball: History, Rules regulations,Playfield ,fundamental skills,Terminology
Handball: History| Rules|regulations|Playfield|fundamental skills|Terminology
we will discuss about Handball: History| Rules|regulations|Playfield|fundamental skills|Terminology
The north European countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Germany, and Norway are primarily known as the budding ground of team Handball game. Handball was developed in Germany by konraa Koch. Frederik knudsen modified this game in the year 1911. The International Amateur Handball federation was formed in the year 1928 during the Amsterdam Olympics. Handball was a demonstrative sport at the Berlin Olympics in the year 1936.
The first world championship for 11 and 7 player- teams were organized in 1938 in Germany. But the 11 players version gradually disappeared, as the 7 players version become more popular. Handball, is governed by the International Hardball Federation. It become an Olympic event for men in 1972 at Munich and for women in the year 1976 at Montreal Olympics. In India ,it had a slow progress. Handball Federation of India was formed in the year 1955 and HFI controls and regulates the game in India.
Handball (also known as team handball, European handball or Olympic handball is a team sport in which two teams of seven players (six outcourt players and one goalkeeper) throw a ball into the goal goal using their hands . Other teams. A standard match has two periods of 30 minutes, and the team with the most goals wins.
Modern handball is played on a court of 20 meters (131 by 66 feet) at a distance of 40 meters with a goal in the middle of each end. The targets are surrounded by a 6-m (20 ft) zone, where only the defending goalkeeper is allowed; Goals should be scored when throwing or “diving” the ball from outside the zone. The game is usually played indoors, but outdoor handball exists in the forms of field handball, Czech handball (which were more common in the past) and beach handball.
Rules and Regulations of the Game:
1. This game is played between two teams of 12 players. As per new rules the team consist of 16 members, out of which 12 members team is enlisted over score sheet.
2. The main object of the game is to score more goals than the opposing team. A goal is scored when the ball goes entirely or crosses the goal line within goal post. After the goal scored, the game restart from throw off from the centre line.
3. A Handball game is played in two halves of 30 minutes period for men and 25 minutes for woman, with 10 minutes rest in between. Overtime period of 5 minutes of two half is given in case of tie in regular time, with 1 minute half time break.
4. Players with possession of ball may throw or pass or dribble or hits or moves with the ball
5. Only the goalkeeper is allowed inside the goal area. Goalkeeper restraining line is applicable during penalty throw.
6. A handball game starts with a throw off from centre line by the team that wins the toss or after the goal scored by opponent or after each half.
7. A player in possession of the ball shall not take more than 3 steps while holding the ball, player should not hold the ball without dribbling for more than 3 seconds.
8. Substitute is only permitted with the consent of Refree and Table official. The player to be substituted should only enter from the area of subsitute restraining lines if other player has moved out of play field. Otherwise 2 min suspension will be given to the subsituted player.
Fundamental Skills of the Game:
Fundamental skills of handball regarding a handball game are as follows:
1. Dribble two types of dribble
skills in handball
A. Low dribble
B. High dribble
2. Catch the ball
3. Throw the ball
4. Hold the ball
5. Pas the ball
6. Straight shot with blocking step
7. Hip shot
8. Lay up shot
10. Long jump shot
11. Jump fall shot
12. Fall shot
This are the basic skills of handball. Some handball skills are same.
1. Passive play
It is method of intentional delaying for attempting goal and keeping the possession of the more than 20 seconds.
A skills to deceive opponent on wrong direction and thus making free space to move ahead.
3. Throw off
To start the game, a player passes the ball by cutting centre line, where as, players, of both teams remain in their own half.
4. Goal throw
During play of ball goes out from the end lines by the opponent, then goalkeeper starts the game by goal throw.
5. Throw in referee throw
During play if ball goes out from the sideline then opponent gets the chance for ball possession by refree’s consent.
6. O Degree Throw
A throw attempt near the corner of goal line.
It is an illegal way to stop the opponent.
8. Goal area
The arc ground goal post at 6m, which is restricted for all player except goal keeper.
9. Line cut
During attempt for goal if a player cuts or crosses the goal line.
10. Tie rule
If there is tie in regular time then extra time of five minute of two halves is given. If tie till exist then five penalty throws are taken alternately by each team to break the tie.
|Highest governing body||IHF|
|First played||2 December 1917 in Berlin, Germany.|
|Registered players||> 27 million (2016)|
|Team members||7 per side (including goalkeeper)|
|Mixed gender||separate competitions|
|Type||Team sport, ball sport|
|Equipment||Ball and goals|
|Olympic||Part of Summer Olympic programme in 1936.
Demonstrated at the 1952 Summer Olympics.
Returned to the Summer Olympic programme in 1972.
|World Games||Beach handball: 2001 – present (invitational sport before 2013)|
I hope you should like this article.