The Los Angeles Chargers suffered a concerning injury during their joint practice with the San Francisco 49ers on Tuesday, Aug. 18, as center Tyler Biadasz was forced to leave the field on a medical cart.
Biadasz went down during an 11-on-11 drill after 49ers defensive tackle Sebastian Valdez fell onto his left leg. The Chargers center was unable to put weight on the leg and remained on the field for several minutes before being helped onto a cart.
The injury immediately became a major concern for Los Angeles, particularly with the regular season approaching. Biadasz was visibly upset as he was taken away from the practice field.
Tyler Biadasz Injury Update
As of the initial reports following Tuesday’s practice, the Chargers had not announced a specific diagnosis or provided a definitive timetable for Biadasz’s return.
The uncertainty surrounding the injury means it is too early to determine whether Biadasz will miss preseason action, the start of the regular season or potentially more time. Further medical evaluations are expected to provide a clearer picture.
Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert said the team was hoping for positive news after seeing his teammate leave the field.
“I haven’t heard the report back,” Herbert said, while expressing hope that Biadasz would be in a good situation.
The Chargers will likely provide additional information once Biadasz undergoes further evaluation.
Chargers Could Turn to Jake Slaughter
With Biadasz unable to continue, rookie offensive lineman Jake Slaughter stepped into the center role during practice.
Slaughter has been viewed as one of the players capable of contributing along the offensive line, including at left guard. However, an extended absence for Biadasz could increase his responsibilities considerably.
Slaughter also spoke about Biadasz’s importance to the offensive line and praised the veteran center for his leadership and mentorship.
The potential loss of Biadasz would therefore create both a personnel challenge and a leadership void for the Chargers.
Why Biadasz’s Injury Matters for Los Angeles
Biadasz joined the Chargers after previously playing for the Washington Commanders and Dallas Cowboys. The veteran center signed a three-year contract with Los Angeles worth up to $30 million earlier this year.
The 2020 fourth-round pick has established himself as an experienced NFL offensive lineman and was previously selected to a Pro Bowl during his time with Dallas.
His experience is particularly valuable for a Chargers offensive line preparing for another demanding NFL season. Any extended absence could force Los Angeles to adjust its interior line combinations before the regular season begins.
Other Chargers Injuries
Biadasz was not the only Chargers player dealing with an injury during Tuesday’s joint practice.
Outside linebacker Kyle Kennard left the session with a trainer after appearing to limp. Wide receiver Quentin Johnston also had to leave the field after attempting a leaping catch, with the injury appearing to involve his lower body.
The Chargers have now seen several players deal with injury concerns during training camp and preseason preparations, adding another layer of uncertainty ahead of the regular season.
Chargers Await More Information
For now, the biggest question surrounding the Chargers is the severity of Tyler Biadasz’s left-leg injury.
Being carted off the practice field is naturally concerning, but there is not yet enough information to determine the exact nature of the injury or how long Biadasz could be sidelined.
Los Angeles will be hoping that further testing delivers encouraging news and allows its starting center to return sooner rather than later.
Until an official diagnosis and recovery timetable are announced, the Chargers and their fans will have to wait for the next update on Biadasz’s condition
Leave a Reply