India has a long tradition in physical fitness and sports.Recognition of any outstanding achievement is highly motivating and more so when it comes from the top.Honouring the deserving is a great encouragement for others to emulate.National sports award is one of the important awards of India.In this article, we shall discuss about National Awards of Sports-Meaning|Types of Awards|Explaination
National Awards of Sports-Meaning|Types of Awards|Explaination
we shall discuss about National Awards of Sports-Meaning|Types of Awards|Explaination
National Awards are the awards which is given by an athlete or an individual for their outstanding performance in any sports event.
Types of Awards:
There are many sports awards, but the govt of India has recognized the following.They are given by the president of India at a prestigious function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi such as:
1 Arjuna Award:
- This prestigious award was first introduced in the year 1961
- It was named after the great, perfect student Arjuna.
- This award is given to the sports personality who excels in games and sports for three consecutive years.
- It consists of Five Lakh rupees cash, scroll of honor and statue of Arjuna.
- This award is decided by a ten members committee
2 Dronacharaya Award:
- This award is to honor those coaches who have enabled sportsperson to achieve an outstanding result in their discipline.
- This eminent award was started in the year 1985.
- It is given to coaches for their hard work to produce top-level sportspersons.
- This award is named after the legendary guru/teacher ‘Dronacharaya’.
3 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- It is the highest sports award given to a sportsperson who has achieved the heights of skills in games and sports and gives most spectacular performance in sports during the specified year
- This award was started in the year of 1991 in the memory of prime minister, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi.
- In this award, a sportsperson is presented with a medal, a scroll of honor along with cash of seven lakh rupees.
- For this award, high-class performance for the progress of sports is considered.
4 Dhyan Chand Award:
- This award is given for lifetime achievement in sports.
- A cash money is awarded for lifetime achievement.
- The first woman recipient of this award is Aparana Gosh 2001 in Basketball.
5 Maulana Abdul Kalam Award
- Various universities of India compete in various games and sports for this award
- This trophy is awarded to a University with best all-around performance.
- Along with the trophy and a prize of cash money
- This running trophy was instituted by the Gov’t of India in 1956-57 in the memory of Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad, former education minister
List of Major Sports Awards in India & Winners – GK Notes in PDF
When preparing for Government Recruitment Exams & their Online Tests, it is important that you prepare for the General Awareness section. These days, questions from Static GK section are asked more than Current Affairs. So, now that this trend is followed, it is important that you are well-versed with topics from History, Geography, Science, Environment & even Sports. Read the article below that will help you with the List of Major Sports Awards in India & Winners.
Major Sports Awards in India – An Introduction
There is an old saying, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”, which essentially emphasizes the importance of sports in a person’s life. All of us may have played some sport or the other, and you would agree that winning and losing is a part of every sport or game.
Sports Awards in India – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna is the highest sports award given for most outstanding performance in the field of sports in India.
- As of 2017, all Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna recipients will receive Rs. 7.5 lakhs in cash, a citation and a medal.
The list for the Winners of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards –
|1994-95||Cdr. Homi D. Motivala||Yachting|
|Lt. Cdr. P. K. Garg|
|1999- 2000||Dhanraj Pillay||Hockey|
|2002-03||Anjali Ved Pathak Bhagwat||Shooting|
|K. M. Beenamo||Athletics|
|2003-04||Anju Bobby George||Athletics|
|2004-05||Lt. co. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore||Shooting|
|2006-07||Manavjit Singh Sandhu||Shooting|
|2007-08||Mahendra Singh Dhoni||Cricket|
|2015-16||P. V. Sindhu||Badminton|
|2016-17||Devendra Jhajharia||Para Athlete|
Sports Awards in India – Arjuna Award
- This award is given to a sportsperson who has consistently exhibited outstanding performance for four years.
- All Arjuna Awardees receive a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakhs, a certificate, and statuettes.
Winners of Arjuna Awards 2017 –
|Name of the Awardees||Discipline|
|Ms. V.J. Surekha||Archery|
|Ms. Khushbir Kaur||Athletics|
|Mr. Arokia Rajiv||Athletics|
|Ms. Prasanthi Singh||Basketball|
|Sub. Laishram Debendro Singh||Boxing|
|Mr. Cheteshwar Pujara||Cricket|
|Ms. Harmanpreet Kaur||Cricket|
|Ms. OinamBembem Devi||Football|
|Mr. S.S.P. Chawrasia||Golf|
|Mr. S.V. Sunil||Hockey|
|Mr. Jasvir Singh||Kabaddi|
|Mr. P. N. Prakash||Shooting|
|Mr. A. Amalraj||Table Tennis|
|Mr. Saketh Myneni||Tennis|
|Mr. Satyawart Kadian||Wrestling|
|Mr. Varun Singh Bhati||Para-Athlete|
Sports Awards in India – Dronacharya Award
- It is generally said that “Behind every successful man there is a woman”, one can also say that, “Behind every successful sportsperson there is a coach” Seeing the valuable contribution that coaches have in the sports field, the government of India decided to honour the coaches as winners of Dronacharya Award.